top navigation

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Knitting: For Beginners

I've scoured the web, Pinterest, Ravelry, Craftgawker, and many other places in search of free patterns for beginning knitters. My search made me VORACIOUS. I wanted to make as many things as I could!

I think it's very important for beginners to have a variety of simple patterns to practice with - and that they be practical projects too. It's a wonderful feeling to take the time to choose the items for your project, like the type of yarn and colour.

One of my first items was a dishcloth/washcloth - depending on how you use it.


My first stitch that I learned was the "knit" stitch, which when worked back and forth over rows creates a "garter" stitch. It's so easy that many of my first items are made in this way.

SO! I found this pattern, the "Almost Lost Washcloth" pattern. A beautiful star-like pattern, which I thought would be the perfect introduction for making and item from instructions. (NOTE: This pattern has since been updated with photos, and clearer terminology. Find it here.)

 
 I began with a curve... but those points are getting smaller... what the what?


Unfortunately, my first efforts we less than stellar. I was certain I was following the instructions correctly, but my work was looking nothing like the original.

I ripped back my stitches at least four times trying to figure out where I had gone wrong to no avail. My work continued to look like a lazy strip more than a circle.

I would not be deterred. I did more searching, and found another tutorial for the same item that gave step-by-step photos. "Sunburst"14-Point Knitted Washcloth FINALLY! I began to see the dishcloth come to life!


 Two points for Christine!


Now that I knew what I was doing - the rest of the cloth whipped up pretty quickly! Each time I completed another point, I was so excited - it was working!
 
 Round and round we go! Since it's cotton... perhaps it would make a good pot holder too.


I'm so proud of this project, and the fact that I was able to keep with it, and not give up. So often when we start learning a new skill, we get really excited but easily discouraged when it takes time to master the new skills. This can be for any new skill, not just creative ones.

The key is so stick with it, even if you have to take a break to regroup or rest and try again the next day. Practice, practice, and even more practice!


Creatively Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment