I've been bitten.
I caught the bug.
I'm... a knitter.
Early last year I tried to learn a few
hand-crafts: quilting, embroidery and knitting. I was excited for the quilting because I'm always cold and making something decorative would be a great bonus. So I started with a bit of reading, and following some blogs. Unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine of my own, and my hand-stitching is less than stellar. The embroidery started well enough - I fancied myself making rude little pieces to share with friends, and making little gifts for Christmas. While I did make the Christmas gifts, but it never got any farther than that - again, my hand-stitching was very slow.
Then came knitting. One of my friends taught me how to cast on, and knit a simple garter stitch. I started very simply with a scarf - but it took me a year to complete. I can't recall why it took so long, considering how much I really enjoy knitting now - but there you have it. I planned to make the scarf for myself, but since I was planning on doing a hand-made holiday, I thought it best to give to my sister-in-law (she lives in a colder area than I do!)
She loved the gift, and then my mom wanted one as well, so I spent the next two days after boxing day whipping up a scarf for her - and that's when I knew... I was in DEEP.
Let's see the run down so far:
All since Christmas. I would say I've been very busy. ;)
I wish I'd taken the time to get photos of all the projects, but for me the excitement of making the items is giving them to family and friends that I know will love them. It's a relaxing activity that helps me focus on nothing but the task at hand, and often clears my head from the nonsense of the day. So even if I don't have photos, I do have the memories of happy faces.
I think that matters more.
Creativity Christine
Then came knitting. One of my friends taught me how to cast on, and knit a simple garter stitch. I started very simply with a scarf - but it took me a year to complete. I can't recall why it took so long, considering how much I really enjoy knitting now - but there you have it. I planned to make the scarf for myself, but since I was planning on doing a hand-made holiday, I thought it best to give to my sister-in-law (she lives in a colder area than I do!)
She loved the gift, and then my mom wanted one as well, so I spent the next two days after boxing day whipping up a scarf for her - and that's when I knew... I was in DEEP.
Let's see the run down so far:
- Scarf for sister-in-law
- Scarf for mother
- Scarf for myself
- Scarf for my brother
- Ear warmers for myself
- Ear warmers for another friend
- Scarf for yet another (can you see a theme for a beginning knitter?)
- Dishcloth #1
- Dishcloth #2
- Dishcloth #3 (another great project idea for beginning knitters!)
- WIP - Baby blanket for my cousin
- Next up: hand-warmers (remember how I said I'm always cold?)
All since Christmas. I would say I've been very busy. ;)
I wish I'd taken the time to get photos of all the projects, but for me the excitement of making the items is giving them to family and friends that I know will love them. It's a relaxing activity that helps me focus on nothing but the task at hand, and often clears my head from the nonsense of the day. So even if I don't have photos, I do have the memories of happy faces.
I think that matters more.
Creativity Christine
No comments:
Post a Comment