top navigation

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Pobody's Nerfect

I often approach projects with a lot of research and planning. I do this because I want to understand the topic or project as best I can, in the hopes of getting the best outcome - the first time. I'm so excited to be learning something new - it's like I give myself information overload!

That's a lot of stress to put on oneself - especially considering that usually when we do something for the first time, we are prone to make missteps, and mistakes resulting in a less than satisfactory outcome.

From there many people get discouraged, and often quit whatever pursuit they were striving for.

I have no idea what he's looking for. Can he even smell anything under all that snow? I'm asking the hard questions here.

I try to remind myself - again and again, as many times as needed - that this is all a process. One step at a time, one post at a time. I don't have to be creative EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I know some people can, I know that others plan projects and posts weeks in advance - but I have to also remember that this is new for me. I need to give myself the room to make mistakes, go long periods without posting - and to remember that it's all okay. Before I know it, I'll look back and I will have found my stride.

Are you just out here to eat snow? You made a fuss just to get outside and eat the fluffy white stuff, didn't you.

In the last few months, I've tried my hands at pickling, watercolour painting, drawing (I'm slowing get back into it), knitting and embroidery. I even want to try and make quilt-inspired items!

That sounds like a lot, huh?

Instead of being disappointed over a handful of in-progress project or items, I'm trying to change my perspective on the whole thing. Though some projects take longer than others (watercolour is a whole new mindset from the way I've painted in the past), and others are finished in 2 days (I knitted my mom's scarf so quickly and relentlessly that I had to take a break for a whole 24 hours - my hands were so cramped!) there is STILL progress being made. I'm still finding those moments for creativity, which have always been very important to me.

I'd call that a win, or at the very least, another point for the positive side.

Believe it or not, we've lost the family dog in the snow before, but he always wanders back.

So even if I get lost along the way, I try to refocus and remind myself that it's all part of the creative journey - it has it's ups and downs - but eventually you will find own unique rhythm.


Creatively Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment