top navigation

Saturday, October 18, 2014

I Love It When A Recipe Comes Together

Living in Canada has left me befret of a delicious American institution: The Cheesecake Factory.
I've visited this restaurant once in my life, but it left quite an impression! So imagine my surprise when I find a recipe that mimics their Avocado Egg Rolls! This recipe is courtesy of The Novice Housewife.
These rolls are little bites of heaven.
THESE. TURNED. OUT. AMAZING. 
But since I’m my mother’s daughter, of course I changed up the recipe to suit~ :)
This duplication called for cilantro/coriander which I didn't add because I don’t like cilantro, (I find it’s flavour to be too strong and distinctly overpowering) and I reasoned that if I bought coriander instead, chances are the rest would go to waste seeing as I don’t usually cook with it. So curly-leaf parsley was my swap.
Regular tomatoes are featured in this appetizer, because, well, sun-dried tomatoes are expensive! I diced them up just the same, making sure to remove the watery part of the slices so they wouldn’t make the filling mushy.
I don’t have a deep fryer, so my go-to was a small, deep pot with a base that could take enough heat to get the oil hot enough for frying. I will admit, this was after I learned that a frying pan is not necessarily right for all types of frying needs... Since I used a smaller pot, I didn’t have to use so much oil to get it deep enough to fry the rolls two at a time. All I needed was about an inch of canola oil.
There was no dipping sauce because the recipe called for cashews (and I’m allergic), but I’m certain that if I bought a tamarind dipping sauce (the same used for samosas!) it would be a perfect match.
The results were delicious! And what's even better is that most of the ingredients (except for the egg rolls) are items we usually have at home. The egg rolls didn't even cost $2!

This turned out to be a really great recipe - because living in Southern Ontario means the closest Cheesecake Factory is in Buffalo! This recipe will make a nice addition to my party finger-food repertoire.

Creatively, Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment